Qualitative Analysis with NVivo
- This course teaches the concepts and process of qualitative data analysis using NVivo 11 /12 for Windows and Mac
- You will learn to use analyse qualitative data in NVivo from a methodological standpoint
- This course can be taken as a standalone unit or combined with another methodological seminar or any of the methods courses.
This course combines the basic concepts of qualitative data analysis with the essential features of NVivo. This is the course you need if you are new to qualitative analysis and want to use NVivo from a methodological standpoint. The course is structured around four modules that follow the logical sequence of the qualitative analysis process. You will learn to: relate epistemology, methodology and methods of qualitative analysis; organise a qualitative dataset; differentiate approaches to coding qualitative data; seek patterns and identify relationships inductively and deductively; generate hypotheses; create second-level constructs; present findings using visualisations; export data; and share projects. The course blends lectures with hands-on exercises in which learned concepts are put into practice. Note that this course teaches only the most salient features of NVivo (for a more comprehensive course on NVivo, see the Introduction to NVivo course.
Although no previous knowledge of NVivo is required, participants should have some familiarity with qualitative research.
Two days from 9:00 to 17:00. The course can be shortened to one day on request.
This course is taught by invitation only in universities, research centres or institutions. Maximum 15 participants.
This course is entirely hands-on. Participants work with sample data, although they may work on their own data for the last hour of the course.
Depends on course duration. Please email me for more information.
This course can be taken alone or in conjunction with other related courses. It can be taught before, after or simultaneously with any of the methodological seminars or method courses.
- Bazeley, P. and Jackson, K. (2013). Qualitative Data Analysis with NVivo (2nd ed.). London: Sage. Chapter 1: Perspectives: Qualitative computing and NVivo.
- Bazeley, P. and Jackson, K. (2013). Qualitative Data Analysis with NVivo (2nd ed.). London: Sage. Chapter 2: Starting out, with a view ahead.
- Bazeley, P. (2009). Analysing Qualitative Data: More Than Identifying Themes. Malaysian Journal of Qualitative Research, 2(2), 6-22.
- Gibson, W. J., & Brown, A. (2009). Working with Qualitative Data. London: Sage. Chapter 1: Introduction: qualitative data analysis in context.
- QSR International. NVivo Getting Started Guide.
Other NVivo course
This course was taught at
As a freelance methodologist, I train social scientists and humanitarian practitioners in qualitative analysis, decolonising research and participatory methodologies. I coach research teams, teach doctoral-level courses and I consult for humanitarian aid agencies worldwide.